Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Land of a Thousand...Minuets? Minets? Minerets!

1. Shakira can heal the world. Our class has made a goal to do the Waka Waka dance at every location possible. We’re all convinced that this song not only has immense healing powers, but also will stand the test of time, thus we are all willing to make this our legacy. Unfortunately, we didn’t always know which sites were totally appropriate for “waka”ing. Turns out, Temple of Hatshepsut wasn’t one of them. We wired our radios to play it in everyone’s headsets and did our thing. The security guards didn’t like it very much, so they came running down the stairs to talk to our guide and confiscate the footage. Our wonderful guide, Islam, politely agreed to show them the footage and insisted that it was harmless. But, it’s pretty rare that people accept the excuse of “we’re just stupid Americans who love to dance”. Islam took the video to the security guard to show him and the guard just stared. He stopped, looked and Islam, and said, “That…is….awesome”. As my friend Brandt says, “Waka waka healed that security guards heart”. It was epic. You can be expecting a Waka Waka video montage sometime in the near future.

2. Merchants of Egypt are relentless. Not only are they the worst hasslers of the Middle East, but they NEVER miss an opportunity. I was under the impression that the hike up to Sinai would be relatively peaceful. Just me and the mountain. Not only were there shops every few hundred yards, but an entire Bedouin Shopping Mall rested conveniently at the top. Not at all what I expected, but still a marvelous experience.

3. Fanny packs are awesome. Guess who didn’t get anything stolen for a whole week? This moi. I also learned a little about the bartering world. Rule number 1, “If they don’t give you a price that is less than a third of the original price, just waka wak away”.

6 comments:

  1. I am dying over this!!!! Waka waka dance is basically the most thug dance out there. I can't wait to see videos of you guys doing this all over the Middle East. That would be awesome. Fanny packs on the other hand... not as awesome. I think I'd rather be robbed than wear a fanny pack. I love you! Hope you're loving Egypt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of the "Amigos!" episode of Arrested Development where they do the chicken dance, that ends up being much more offensive in Mexico. Watch out, the waka waka just may have some unsaid cultural meaning in the Holy Land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH!! waka is the best thing ever!! do you believe this? yes or not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, ah, I believe this. C'mon, I told you this five minutes ago. Wake up, tut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tessa, I'm totally jealous that you were in my continent of Africa! (Although technically, Sub-Sahara Africa adamantly disowns North Africa). Nonetheless, I've always wanted to visit. I'm glad you're having a great time, but I can't wait to see you when you get back!

    Ryan Hill

    ReplyDelete