Friday, October 1, 2010

Sukkot!

1. A couple nights ago, Khaled Abu Toameh, an Israeli-Arab journalist, speak at one of our forums. I learned more about the Middle East in 60 minutes than I have in all my years of Wikipedia research. But, I think what I really learned from the whole lecture was that media can hardly ever be trusted. The real conflict starts with a hidden agenda, when one man says, “I want this story, not that one”. That’s when activists raise their heads and decide to do something. Be careful about what you say and even more careful about what you read.

2. In Old Testament, we’ve been talking about the story of Saul. Saul did a good thing with good intentions, but not according to the Lord’s timing. Then we talked about how Uzzah was killed for steadying the ark. I know the Bible sometimes illustrates using extremes, but I think I’m going to work on staying out of those tricky gray areas…just in case.

3. The last day of Sukkot, Hoshanna Rabba, was a couple days ago. It’s been so fun going out to the Jewish quarter of the Old City for the past week. I went out Monday morning and saw two bar mitzvahs at the western wall. I love how 13-year-old boys are the same everywhere you go. Part of the tradition of a bar mitzvah is to throw candy at the boy being celebrated, but it was great to watch some of the priests to try and get them to stop once they started the Torah reading portion. The whole Sukkot festival is fascinating. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of Native American traditions. They have a harvest, a feast, and then a dance in celebration for God. I love that gratitude is the core of all the Jewish Festivals. Anyway, sorry these posts are sporadic at best, but I’m telling you, with three different religions fighting for the spotlight, the fun doesn't stop.

P.S. Ryan Hill, for our Jerusalem Center Branch Choir Christmas Concert, I’ve requested the song, “Gesu Bambino”, only because I have such incredible memories of that performance. Although it will be tough to outdo the Edgemont 14th ward rendition, it’s worth the risk.

1 comment:

  1. What a remarkable array of experiences!

    I wish I had been there at the Western Wall with you watching each young man at his Bar Mitzvah. Being a part of their rite of passage would have provided such tender connections.

    Glad you're hearing from powerful speakers who can provide new insights on complicated issues. They want to change the world just like you do--one heart at a time.

    Can't wait to hear all the music choices you have in mind for Christmas. Hope the choir gets to perform at the big Christmas Concert. What a privilege that would be. I'll be humming "Gesu Bambino" and "Shine for Me" for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete